Thursday, February 24, 2005

All the difference

A fresh blanket of snow today. Just a smidge; an inch, no more. still, enough to foul up traffic. It hasn't really melted yet so today the world is a silver lining to a sky full of clouds.

I think that the most picturesque snowscapes that I have seen have all been up around the north shore. I remember a grouse hunting trip with my friends on an old logging road a few miles west of Isabella, at the tail end of a lake effect snowstorm. About 6 inches of the stuff had come down. It started wet and as it slowly turned cold the snow began clinging to the trees, powerlines and virtually everything that it touched. It looked as if God had cast the likeness of the world in silver and given my friends and me free run of it. We began walking down a promising trail that quickly forked. According to our maps it rejoined, so we parted ways. My friends and the dog continued to the south and I went alone to the southeast.

The sky was clearing as we did this, and as I walked alone I looked up at the trees that towered above me. It was if I had wandered into the world's largest cathedrel, for in every direction that I looked I saw a more breathtaking stained glass window than the last, filled with the blue of the sky, the dark green of Norway pines and the golden glow of sunshine, framed behind the snow-covered branches. This was no man-made temple yet I worshipped there all the same, silently thanking God for the scene around me. Beauty of this kind is no accident.

As I slowly walked along the sun began to gradually warm the branches above me, starting a secondary snowfall in the woods as the trees began to groggily shake off the sediment. Chickadees and red squirrels were on the move now, quickly getting back to the daily business of winter foraging.

As the two roads slowly rejoined the dog came to greet me. A few more steps around the bend and I was reunited with my comrades. As we plodded back to the truck I wondered to myself what their experience had been like. I had no doubt that they had seen the same sunlight, blue sky, evergreens and snow-covered branches, but I wondered if they had really seen these things as I had.

As we pulled away to find another trail I thanked God again, this time for a safe hunt and for good friends with whom to share the beauty of the woods. We'd shared an experience, even if we had walked down seperate paths. I will always treasure the memory of taking the road less travelled that frosty late autumn morning.

2 comments:

  1. happiness more or less is just a It's just a change in me
    Something in my liberty
    Oh, my, my
    Happiness
    Coming and going
    I watch you look at me
    Watch my fever growing
    I know just where I am

    But how many corners do I have to turn?
    How many times do I have to learn
    All the love I have is in my mind?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Adam,

    It's been a few years now since I took that walk and so much has changed. The show melted away, came back and left again several times over. Generations of squirrels & chickadees have passed. The dog has died.

    One friend has moved away, the other is as caught up in his own life as I am in mine and by and large we've fallen out of touch. In a very real sense those guys are walking their own paths now.

    But that morning still exists in my mind. The camaraderie, the affection that I felt for my former traveling companions is a snapshot frozen in time. Such memories are the building blocks of a well-adjusted soul. Alas how I wish I had more of them.

    Interesting lyrics choice from the Verve.

    ReplyDelete