Monday, November 28, 2005

Early Winter Deer Kill

The November 2005 Sawbill Newsletter describes the aftermath of a deer that fell to a wolf on Alton lake this weekend. A very cool piece of nature reporting. The writer took some early-ice risks that I would not have taken in order to get some choice photos of the kill:

"....the ice was so black and clear as to be nearly invisible, giving me the illusion that I was skiing on open water. My heart was in my throat a few times as I could feel the ice sag beneath me and watched cracks shoot out from under my feet."


Maybe not as bone-headed as the nitwit I saw on Animal Planet this weekend, trying to get close-ups of a Spitting Cobra, but the consequences of a slip-up could have been just as deadly. Nature doesn't care who you are. It'll eat you up just the same, as surely as a wolf will eat a deer.

2 comments:

  1. I thought about this some more last night and I totally agree that what the photographer/writer did was pretty dumb and dangerous. Especially when you scroll down a bit and note that Sawbill Lake only froze over on 11/17.

    I still thought it was a cool story, and I can kind of empathize with wanting to get a photo of such an amazing sight, but that was a pretty big and unnecessary risk to take.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it was a cool story and in all fairness I was far more envious of the author than I was concerned about the risk that he took. If I had been there I might have done the same thing. The opportunity to see this important yet unpopular portion of the circle of life (Insert 'Lion King' music here) would have been too tempting to pass up.

    My big excitement most days is getting a momentary glimpse of the river on my way to and from work as I pass over it. Allthough I have to say that this morning's commute was beautiful all over, even though I was a little preoccupied with staying on the road. I can't help myself - I just love it when it snows. It must be a holdover emotion from childhood.

    ReplyDelete