Monday, June 25, 2007

Our American selves





I doodled this on 04/07/07
and wrote the following:


"Planning my outdoor excursions feels not unlike a bank robber, meditating on his next heist. I am putting together the gear and the expertise and anticipating the right moment to pull off my next caper. Truth be told, aside from a canoe I really have all the gear that I need. My planned purchases are primarily creature comforts. To make life more convenient in some cases, and more fun in others.

On this spring day the nip of winter is still in the air, to serve as a reminder that into our lives a little snow must fall. But the trees are biding their time like petulant teenagers, waiting for their drivers licenses. Their buds are like a billion little pimples, all of which will erupt in one giant pubescent explosion in about two more weeks. That's when every living thing under the sun (& under the waves) will become obsessed with reproduction, not unlike our American selves.

When it comes to birds, fish, wolves and deer, I confess to being a romantic. I want to see the guy get the girl."

2007-06-16
It was inspired by the artwork found in my copy of Reflections from the North Country.

No comments:

Post a Comment