Friday, November 2, 2007

Won't take you far

Here is kind of a postscript for the trip, three bulleted lists I made in my notebook while watching the autumn sunset light up the tamaracks on my last evening in the BWCAW.

WHAT WENT RIGHT:
  • Beautiful, rain-free fall days
  • Beautiful fall colors:
    -The birches still had about 15% of their leaves, the scrub oaks were hanging on, and the tamaracks look like God plucked each one, dipped it in gold and set it back down again.
  • Exercised good judgment:
    - I knew when to swallow my pride and turn around.
  • Re-learned something about myself I had forgotten:
    -I am quite strong... But without conditioning, strength won't take you far.

WHAT WENT WRONG:
  • Pack overloaded:
    -I brought too much unnecessary crap.
  • Body overloaded:
    -I need to lose at least 25# (More like 50) before I try this again.
  • Body out of shape:
    -The primary means by which to lose the above-mentioned weight should be via exercise
  • Equipment failures:
    -Boots fell apart
    -Stove was not running 100% efficiently (Didn't test it out beforehand)
  • Wrong/inappropriate equipment:
    -Heavy base camping tent, no water pump
  • Underestimated the trail:
    -The trail had the element of surprise - it had been waiting for me for 300,000 years*

    *(Not sure what I meant by that!)

WILDLIFE ENCOUNTERS:
(Updated on Sunday in the Ely coffee shop)
  • On Echo Trail:
    -A family of Bald Eagles
  • On the trail in:
    -I kicked up a rabbit
    -I passed within the vicinity of a skunk.
  • In the campgrounds:
    -Panhandling whiskey jacks and red squirrels
    -2 Ducks of unknown species (Didn't look like mallards)
    -An otter swam up and briefly spied on me through the weeds
    -What appeared to be a beaver towing a log across the lake (What else would do something like that?)
  • On the trail out:
    -I kicked up a grouse
    -I met a visibly shaken teenage boy who spent a sleepless night in a nearby campsite after a bear entered the campground, stomped around and snorted around the young man's hanging food pack.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Terry - finally got around to reading this and enjoyed it very much. A good story well told, as they say. I totally respect your decision to turn back and admire your ability to objectively assess the situation.

    Too bad about the equipment failures and other problems, but that's the nature of things I guess and I firmly believe that the woods reward us for persevering, even if that means knowing when to quit... so long as we come back.

    I digress. Great trip report, great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Among my ever-dwindling group of BWCA traveling companions, I have a reputation for being "a little hard" on people who pack in malfunctioning or inoperable gas appliances - too funny!

    On a winter camping trip several years ago, one of the guys brought along a huge, totally unnecessary coleman lantern - and it didn't work. He still hears about it! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Greg. It was mostly a matter of setting what I really wanted aside and dealing with the reality of my situation. I'm glad that I came out ahead against the "Stupid factor" on that one.

    Thanks, Eric. The stove worked, just not at 100%. A postmortem revealed that the o-ring on the fuel tank had a couple of small cracks in it - Totally avoidable if I had bothered looking beforehand. Unfortunately I was not undefeated against the "Stupid Factor."

    It bears in mind though that there needs to be TWO pre-trip checklists: The stuff you PACK and the stuff that you DO before you leave.

    Thanks guys-

    ReplyDelete