Thursday, March 6, 2008

Old Friends

Seen Better days...

"The man with the boots does not
mind where he places his foot."
-Irish Proverb


"My optimism wears heavy boots
and is loud."
-Henry Rollins



I've had these bad boys for 25 years. My dad bought them for me in 1983 to replace a crappy pair of Moon Boots. To this day probably one of the nicest things he has ever done for me and that is saying a lot.

I have lost track of how many sets of laces and liners I have gone through.
If you click on the photo and look at the toes you can see that they're shot.

I'm not sure why it is that our footwear tends to personify us more than any other article of our apparel. When soldiers lose a comrade they will march past his empty boots and salute. Of all the outrageous excesses of the Marcos Regime it was Imelda's 1060 pairs of shoes that everyone (at least in the states) remembers.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
And without good footwear, you're going nowhere.

Good boots are like good friends. The better they are, the more you can count on them. They can be taken for granted without being insulted by it. But then again boots are inanimate objects and don't have feelings.

What the @#$!$% am I talking about anyway?

I've gotten a lot of traffic (Like double) lately from people looking for fish house designs but none of these freeloading sunkinthaditches comment on my posts. Is nobody commenting because the quality of my posts is crap, or is the quality of my posts crap because nobody comments? I guess either way if I had to ask it isn't a good thing. According to my stats my most loyal reader is the vi@gr@worm robot who hits my RSS feed like 6000 times a day when he's not busy lighting up my custom 404 page with obscene (and non-existent) URLs.

Sorry this post melted down. I really had high hopes for it, too.

But then again what do you care, whoever you are?
You weren't reading this anyway, were you?

5 comments:

  1. Well, I'm no bot/worm but I do have a comment! I have those exact same boots. Got them back in 1986 at the Midwest Moutaineering winter sale. They didn't have any womens Sorels left, so I made do with the smallest mens size they had. At the time they seemed so expensive, but they are the best investment I've ever made! I stocked up on replacement liners just as Sorel was bought out by Columbia, so I am good for another 30-40 years or so. Warm feet, the ultimate midwestern winter luxury!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Minerbabe, thanks for leaving a comment. With these late winter blahs it's easy to blow off writing so it's nice to know somebody is actually reading this stuff.

    I can still remember one or two of of the sets of cheapie snowmobile boots I had when I was a kid - None of them ever came close to being as good as these Sorels.

    They still sell Sorels under their own brand name... I had no idea they had been bought by Columbia. I trashed a pair of bugabootoos out on the trail last fall.

    Modern Sorels don't look the same anymore. I guess if they got bought out that would explain why.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the boots and the writing about them, but I think I like the bi-polar nature of the post even more. :) Hang in there, spring fever is working its evils on us all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude i loved it! Our boots are.
    keep posting and helping people get out on the ice with your design. I know you just had a kid but you should really get out there. medicine lake...straight out from east beach get to where the weeds are in 6 or 7 ft. little bluegills on waxies and northerns on shiners and maybe even a bass too! It is good meditation, i get it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Adam,

    I hope to get out a few times this winter. My fall was pretty much spoken for and I didn't get out on any adventures at all.

    I did recently pick up a replacement set of Columbia bugabootoos, which maybe I'll get a post out about soon.

    Thanks for stopping by and leaving the comment!

    ReplyDelete