Tuesday, October 2, 2007

DIY Rod Tube

Rod TubeSporting goods are just getting to be too darned expensive these days. Magazines and media are quietly preaching consumerism to us, leading many to think that they cannot enjoy the outdoors without spending a fortune on all the latest gadgetry. I say nonsense! To anybody out there who is as fed up with the nauseatingly stylized and commercialized industry of outdoor equipment & apparel, I want to encourage you to try making your own wherever possible!

My installment project is a very simple one. Simple but beautiful. I used 2" PVC to create this home made fishing rod tube. It's pretty self-explanatory, really. For those of you budding diy'ers who need a little more instruction, you can click here to see some other guy who did it, too. All the materials are available at your local hardware store for less than ten bucks. Mine cost an extra $2.50 because I added some extra components (See below).

Rod Tube, mountedWhat's different about mine is that I chose the the ever-more popular black PVC (I haven't let go of style completely yet). Mine needs to accommodate a two-piece fly rod that breaks down to two 50" sections, so it's pretty long. When you make yours, make it to the necessary length to accommodate your gear. If you look at the photo to the left (Click to enlarge) you will notice that I incorporated four couplers to create lash-down points. This way the tube can easily be attached to my backpack as shown. Yes, you too can look like a redneck ghostbuster! With the straps firmly set into the notches created by the couplers, the tube will not dislodge or slide around. The only issue I can see with this setup is that I am going to snag on any low-hanging trees. I will have to field test this to see how it goes.

It turns out that I am not the first person with this idea. In addition to probably many others who have done this and not written about it on the web, John Plozizka from San Jose del Cabo, Baja California Sur, Mexico did the same thing on a grander scale, using 4" PVC to transport a larger quantity of rods. I like his idea of using the stickers to personalize his creation. Kind of like how we wore those dorky little buttons in the '80's, to show everyone that we were unique, just like everybody else. Create your own fashion statement, man!

In parting, I ask you to please make sure that you know what you're doing before you try this or any other DIY project. Read the instructions carefully on any adhesives or chemicals before using. And remember to always use PVC for good, never for evil ;-)

Until next time, stick it to the man!

3 comments:

  1. Outstanding post, Terry!

    As one who struggles with materialism, I hear what you're saying. Every time I see some walleye fisherman backing a $30,000 Lund down a boat ramp, I marvel at the success the industry has had in convincing people of the "need" for such boats.

    Also, several years ago I built a PVC rod holder to carry two ice fishing poles (reels attached) into the BWCA. It clipped to my pack with bungees, worked great, and cost next to nothing.

    I really enjoyed the photo of your set-up with the added comments. You have convinced me to start a flicker account. I'd rip you a bit about the giant sleeping pad for your old bones, but alas, mine is equally as big!

    The potato cannon I used to have was built by a mechanical engineering student and had the piezo electric trigger located well in front of the combustion chamber and was shouldered more like a bazooka. I'd hate to see that guys face if he "lost containment."

    I can think of an even more evil use for PVC, but this seems like a "family type" blog... ;-)

    Again, great post. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work. Damn straight on "sticking it to the man." :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the responses, guys!

    Eric - After I uploaded that pic to flickr and started adding notes I quickly realized that the background was more interesting than the subject. I'm not sure if I should make an exploded view of my pack contents or not. I am restraining myself from bringing the kitchen sink. It is true that I went with one of the larger sleeping pads available. But as anyone who knows me can attest, I'm built for comfort, not for speed.

    Greg - Any post that can pull you out of seclusion is a worthwhile effort! When can we expect a new post from you?

    ReplyDelete