Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Baptism by Ice

My Auger After enduring much teasing and good-natured derision from Eric I finally got around to snapping some photos of the much-ballyhooed fish house. It's going to get some work this Saturday as I am taking a buddy out for his first ice fishing experience. Weather.com is currently predicting a high of 0 degrees that day so I guess you could call that a baptism by ice. I also took a picture of my auger (Over there, to the left) which I got from my dad when he hung up the jig sticks. It was actually my dad who inspired me to build my own fish house; I have vivid memories of watching him construct his 4' X 8' version when I was a kid.

I think my dad has inspired a lot of the behaviors I engage in that my beautiful wife finds to be simply inexplicable. Like solo hiking, building fish houses, ice fishing in general and ice fishing in sub zero temperatures specifically.

It never hurts to let your spouse think that you're a little crazy.

Anyway here are the photos, so enjoy-

From the outside:
Exterior 1      Exterior 2      Exterior 3


From the inside:
Interior 1      Interior 2      Interior 3


4 comments:

  1. That looks really nice. Have fun in the cold this weekend. People ice-fishing in subzero temps make me proud to be a Minnesotan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, it is a badge of honor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Terry,

    Sorry I missed this post, I was gone towards the end of last week and I don't surf blogs much from home due to my slow rural dial up.

    Your new house appears to be very well constructed with close attention paid to detail - just the way I go about my projects. Nicely done!

    If you took some stick-on letters and wrote something like "Eldon Halvorson, Finley ND" on the side of that unit, you'd go totally unnoticed in the Dakotas. ;-)

    The photos were worth the wait. Great post, man.

    Also, Silver Naked Ladies killed at rehearsal last night and will be whipped out and served up at our next gig. Thanks for the pick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Eric,

    Thank you for the kudos on the design. After two excursions (the most recent being a success,)I have found that the house has two chinks in the armor - Fist it is built like a brick house, which is great when you're sitting in it but it's a back breaker when it is compacted down to a flat rectangle. Secondly although the trapdoor configuration allows for a more social form of fishing, due to the proximity of the holes I experienced 2 line tangles from barrel-rolling crappies plus a near third. A northern would assuredly take out the second line.

    Both problems are going to be addressed when I rebuild the deck out of lighter material and switch to a more traditional configuration with a hole in each corner.

    I have not made the house legally compliant with the outside lettering yet. A bit too lazy I guess.

    Glad to hear that the Westerberg song went over well. I hope to make it up there and hear you guys some time.

    ReplyDelete